Thursday, June 19, 2008

In case you're wondering...

No, I haven't lost my mind. I had made a decision about my job, made up my mind. Figured everything out. Then discussed my plans with my family. Well, two people took it well, and one didn't. The one happens to be female, 12 years old, and loves being with her mom. She called me from camp crying, very upset, asking me not to take the job. Her fear is that with me working evenings, she thinks she won't get to see me. And having an older child, I know that that feeling is not going to last much longer. I just couldn't do it. Even having others, including my husband and mother, telling me "she'll adjust, she'll be fine, she'll get used to it, do what you need to do" I just couldn't do it. I would do anything for my kids. They come first to me. And the idea of her being heartbroken because she thinks she won't get to spend time with me just about ripped my heart out. So yes, even knowing that I would be making more money, working an easier shift, having more benefits and stability, I called them back and turned down the job. Even though I'm disappointed, I'm also relieved. You see, my child is happy. And that is most important to me. I won't have them with me forever. These years will soon be gone. No regrets- that's my theme since my brother died. There will always be other jobs. I don't have other kids. So, that's what happened with the abrupt change of plans. And no, I don't regret it...

1 comment:

--David said...

I am so proud of you! I am also proud that Jess is able to tell you how she feels instead of just saying it would be fine and then having problems later on. As you know one day she will beg you to take another job so you won't be "bothering her", so enjoy it while you can. Whenever you have problems at work just whisper to yourself "I love my daughter, I love my daughter"!!!!--Shan